- When can I do the exercise
- Working muscles
- Confusion in terms
- Execution technique
- Differences between rod types
- Which option to choose
- How to replace
Deadlift - lifting the weight off the floor. It is performed due to the muscles of the "back chain" - the biceps of the thighs, buttocks and back muscles. There are many draft rods and dumbbells - dead jerk and jerk, Romanian, classic dead. Ignorance by many trainers of terminology adds to the piggy bank confusion. Some unique people call deadlift the word "deadlift", although this concept in English is applicable to the classic camp. Others believe that the Romanian craving is for fitness, and the classic is only for powerlifting, while others start each training video with a story about girls who can’t do deadlifts in any form other than “Romanian”. In fact, classic deadlift is a basic exercise that is used as competitive in strongman and powerlifting. And the dead, Romanian and others like them - auxiliary leading exercises for the biceps of the thigh and gluteal muscles. Traction also does not have gender. In the classics, women do not grow any special male muscles from traction. Another thing is that she works on the buttocks a little less, but now it’s not about her at all.
- 1 When can I do the exercise
- 2 working muscles
- 3 Confusion in terms
- 4 Technique
- 5 Differences between types of rods
- 5.1 How is Romanian craving different from dead
- 5.2 Romanian traction from the classical
- 5.3 Difference between classic and deadlift
- 6 Which option to choose
- 7 How to replace
When can I do the exercise
In science-based fitness, there is only one criterion - the client can tilt with a perfectly flat back so that the bar goes below the knees, at about the middle of the lower leg. If there is no such flexibility yet, it is recommended to stretch the biceps of the hips, buttocks, and muscles of the back, as well as isolated work on the back with hyperextensions, and on the biceps of the thigh with flexions. Buttocks in this case are pumped with reverse hyperextensions. Any beginner, with due attention to stretching, will be able to perform the first deadlift with low weight in a couple of months.
Important: stretching should not be “solo” in the training plan. It is performed after a set of strength exercises for the muscles of the back and legs. The simplest stretching exercise is to sit on the buttocks on the floor, and tilt the body to the legs.
In terms of training, this exercise is not put first. For those who do not have a goal to learn basic exercises, it is placed after a leg press in medium or narrow staging. For more balanced plans - after the classic deadlift, or sumo thrust, if it is more suitable for an athlete by anthropometric indicators.
It is erroneous to believe that deadlift "pumps lower back pain." If such pain has arisen, it is necessary to exclude hypertonicity of the piriformis muscle, hernia, protrusion and pinching of the nerves. "You just can’t continue to swing with light weight" is impossible, you need to consult a doctor. Craving really helps many people from back pain, since weight retention in this way helps to “free” the roots of nerves, pinched from the wrong posture while sitting. But not a single doctor will recommend you to be “treated with cravings, ” especially if there is no accurate diagnosis.
In fitness, any back pain is the reason for the exclusion of traction from the training plan.
Deadlift is so beloved by bikinists and their wards for only one reason - it allows you not to work as a quadriceps, and therefore - to avoid increasing the volume of the hips "by the male type." In classic traction, a breakdown occurs due to quadriceps, which allow you to push off the floor. In the "dead" traction, weight lifting occurs due to the work of the biceps and buttocks.
- Extensor of the back;
- Hip biceps;
The press, the latissimus dorsi, quadriceps, oblique muscles of the abdomen work as stabilizers. This movement allows you to learn how to breathe correctly in traction under load, but does not contribute to the expansion of the chest. The muscles of the inner thighs are also included in stabilization work.
Confusion in terms
“Female and male” coaches are very fond of saying that deadlift is female. What. They can tell Phil Heath, who performs this exercise regularly. Or to millions of lesser-known powerlifters for whom deadlift is the second auxiliary movement to the biceps of the thigh after tilting standing with a barbell.
Residents often confuse:
- Deadlift, i.e. deadlift;
- Deadlift, competitive powerlifting exercise;
- Romanian deadlift
This exercise in Russian-speaking coaching practice is often called the "deadlift." The term went from English-language translation magazines. In Soviet textbooks on weightlifting, the movement was called “tilt with a barbell in his hands”, “Romanian” traction as such was not distinguished there, a similar exercise was called “jerk pull”.
For your convenience, the “Romanian” traction is a tilt with a barbell with slightly bent knees. Bending helps to overcome the dead center, and lower the bar below. Therefore, contrary to popular belief, “Romanian” is not an exercise “isolating the biceps of the thigh and buttocks”, but a movement that shifts part of the load to the lower back. Therefore, in science-based training plans, it is performed with weights from small to medium, and does not serve to set power records.
“Dead” traction or traction on straight legs is called just because of the blocked knees, this movement is more for the biceps of the thigh and buttocks, and to a lesser extent for the lower back. The deadlift in the classic is distinguished by the fact that each time the weight falls to the floor, and it breaks off due to repulsion from the floor with your feet. It is a mistake to consider that deadlift in the classics is a kind of hybrid of squat and traction. The bending angle in the knees may not be very large, the difference is just in the movement, or rather, in the force application vector. The movement is initiated by pushing the legs to the floor, and always begins with the work of the legs, and not from the back.
Technically, this simple life hack will help to execute this movement. To begin with, learn to lean forward with a straight back, standing on straight legs. Hand position - move along the hips.
The order of execution is as follows:
- The bar is taken from the racks with a direct grip or a grip into the lock, if necessary, straps are used. Grip is not a fundamentally important point in the exercise; a greater concentration on the work of the legs and buttocks is required;
- On inspiration, a forward bend with a straight back is performed, due to flexion in the hip joint;
- The knee joints are straightened and, as it were, “blocked”; no need to move the knees;
- The depth of the slope is determined by the ability to maintain a straight back, as soon as the back begins to bend in the lumbar, you need to start moving up;
- Allowable depth of inclination - any amplitude below the knee;
- Extension occurs on exhalation;
- The movement is performed the required number of times, movement in the knees is excluded;
- Throwing your head back should not be, you should try to keep it neutral, the neck is a continuation of the spine, look at the ceiling, as some athletes who lift a lot of weight in a classic camp do not
Important: you should not even try to take in this exercise the weight that you could lift in a classic camp.
Differences between rod types
What is the difference in technique between types of traction "> How is Romanian traction different from dead
The people call the Romanian craving an exercise on the lower back. This is not entirely true from the point of view of the methodology, but it conveys the sensations very accurately. When the weight of the bar rises on bent legs, part of the effort is given exactly in the lower back.
- The bar is removed from the racks, after retreating, slight bending is performed in both knee joints. The stand is symmetrical, the heels can be placed under the pelvic bones, or a little narrower, slightly toe apart or leave parallel, as convenient;
- The tilt is performed by flexion in the hip joint as you exhale. The task of the abdomen is to keep the spine stable, therefore, it is impossible to push the front abdominal wall forward;
- The vulture glides over the body, touches it throughout the amplitude, it is not necessary to “drop” the bar from the body;
- The reverse movement "starts" with the contraction of the gluteal muscles, the exhalation goes to effort;
- Romanian craving is reminiscent of pulling the pelvis back, and bringing it to the midline when the athlete straightens.
Romanian craving for classic
Romanian traction does not imply a complete lowering of the weight to the floor. Therefore, in power sports it is defined as “tilt with a barbell in straight hands”, and not as “traction”. In the classics, the athlete starts off the floor, he rests on his feet, tears the bar off the platform, and lifts it, moving the bar along the body. Weight fixation - at the top point, with shoulders laid back. Double movement of the neck along the body is not allowed, that is, up and down movement during lifting.
The difference between the classic traction from the dead
Here the differences are obvious. Deadlift is a tilt with a barbell on straight legs. Pancakes of the floor can not be touched. Classic deadlift is always performed from the floor, and there is flexion in the knee joint. For some athletes, it is more convenient to carry out classic traction from the floor from a high start. They bend their legs minimally, but only in this way their body takes the optimal position for lifting weight from the floor, and the most stable emphasis.
- Bending the legs in a deadly knee joint is a technical error. Moreover, it is not recommended to change the angle in the knees during the exercise;
- Lowering the weight due to inertia, that is, throwing the bar down, can cause injury;
- Rounding the spine in both the thoracic and lumbar region is a mistake. If in the classical stanovoy rounding in the thoracic region is not a technical error, and only the "hump" in the lumbar region is not allowed, then in this auxiliary exercise the back should remain straight;
- Too shallow movement is not allowed when the bar does not fall below the knees;
- It is required to activate the back so that there is no need to throw a head when lifting the weight up;
- Most technical errors are due to the selection of inappropriately heavy weights. “Twitching” of the weight by the shoulders is not allowed, that is, a scar along with traction.
Which option to choose
Deadlift in the classics is an exercise for developing strength, and muscle growth. Beginners are encouraged to start studying traction with her. Romanian traction - for those who need to develop the muscles of the hips and buttocks, plus strengthen the lower back, and deadlift - for an isolated study of the biceps of the thigh and buttocks.
In the training plans of power athletes, all three thrusts are met to one degree or another. For fitness, the Romanian draft is considered the safest option, but draft on straight legs is not available to everyone, mainly it is designed for people with good flexibility.
How to replace
If the basic exercises cannot be performed for some reason, you can develop the muscles of the “back chain”:
- Reverse hyperextension;
- Direct hyperextension;
- Exercise "Goodmonding";
- Bending the legs in the simulator lying and standing;
- Hip extensions standing with weight
In training, when thrust is not contraindicated, these exercises are used as auxiliary.