- How pulling up can save a life
- Pullup Training Options
- Execution technique
- Problems lovers horizontal bars
- Recommendations and Tips
- Define your category, and forward to success!
Pulling up is a basic gymnastic exercise. Different variations predominantly load the back or arms, but almost all - build a muscle corset, increase strength, and strengthen the ligaments. The movement is extremely useful for the spine, as it helps to remove the compression load from working with weights. Pull-ups can be performed by children from a very young age, and those who are forbidden to compress the spine due to trauma. Exercise became the basis for a whole sport - workout. There are a lot of variations. And fans insist that this is the most functional exercise.
- 1 How pulling up can save a life
- 2 What muscles work
- 3 Pullup Training Options
- 3.1 For general physical fitness
- 3.2 For muscle gain
- 4 Technique
- 4.1 Classic mid-grip pull-ups
- 4.2 Wide grip pull-up technique
- 4.3 Narrow back grip
- 4.4 Pulling up on a horizontal ladder
- 5 Problems lovers horizontal bars
- 5.1 Injuries
- 5.2 Calluses
- 5.3 Ligament pain
- 5.4 Falls from the horizontal bar
- 6 Tips and Tricks
- 7 Define your category, and forward to success!
- 7.1 Your result: from 0 to 1
- 7.2 Your result: from 2 to 4
- 7.3 Your result: from 5 to 7
- 7.4 Your result: from 8 to 12
How pulling up can save a life
Imagine a typical human day. He rides the subway, raising his hands and grabbing the handrails. He lifts from the upper shelves and puts back heavy objects. Finally, he picks up the bags from the store up the stairs and shakes the child. What is it "> What muscles work
In pulling up, it works not only the widest, but also the biceps, deltas, and also the muscles of the body as stabilizers.
In more detail, it looks like this:
- The widest and biceps provide lifting of the body to the crossbar;
- The forearms stabilize the body in the hanging;
- The oblique muscles of the abdomen and the rectus muscle allow you to remove the buildup of the body and tighten effectively;
- Round and diamond-shaped tighten when the body is pulled directly to the crossbar;
- In this de movement, both the middle and posterior deltoid bundles work
The load can be shifted if different types of grip are used when pulling. The grip width affects which muscles allow you to start from the hang, and which muscles “reach” the body to the crossbar.
The most common types of pull-ups are:
- The most common pull-up “for the back and biceps” is the average grip, shoulder width apart. In this case, the load is evenly distributed between the latissimus and the muscles of the hands, and it is this option that is recommended for beginners to perform their first pull-up.
- Narrow back or medium back grip is aimed at the predominant development of biceps. This embodiment of the movement strengthens the ligaments and tendons of the hands, and also improves the mobility of the shoulder joints. It is considered less safe for elbows, so it is not recommended for injuries.
- Wide grip helps to develop the broadest muscles. At the same time, the wide head works more for the “depth” of the back, and the classic one works for the width.
Less popular pull-up variations for greater emphasis on shoulders and biceps:
- Parallel grip when the palms are aligned with each other, and the fingers look at each other is used to pump arms and the “lower” beam of the widest.
- A narrow direct grip allows you to work out the deltas too.
- Direct and reverse grip on one hand. This is the hardest pull-up option. Used by sports professionals to increase the load. This option of pulling up, which helps to strengthen the muscles of the arms and ligaments as much as possible, but gives less load on the back, and more on stabilizers.
But that’s not all. Negative pull-ups are used to train beginners. They represent the rise of the body to the crossbar in any way, and its smooth lowering in a straight hang. When lowering, the muscles resist the force of attraction and exercise. Over time, one who pulls up in this style will be able to perform the exercise in the usual classical form.
Pull-ups or inertia pull-ups are a crossfit business card. But in fact they were invented by gymnasts. Not so much strength is trained here as general and local muscular endurance, as well as the cardiovascular system. Kip pull-ups are a great replacement for cardio intervals. Besides. This movement teaches the use of core and legs.
Almost any kind of pull-up can be complicated by using weights that attach to the belt.
Pullup Training Options
Different goals require different styles.
For general physical fitness
If it is just about strengthening muscles, and the fight against physical inactivity, 2-3 sets of 10-15 repetitions of pull-ups without weights are enough. You can perform the movement anywhere - even on the horizontal bar in the yard, at least in a trendy fitness club. Pulling up is a great exercise because it really shakes your back and arms effectively and is accessible to everyone.
But what if it’s not available due to not very well-developed physical qualities?> For gaining muscle mass
It is necessary to be pulled "on weight" 8-12 times in 3-4 approaches. It is important to fully recover between sets, and to perform the movement in full amplitude, however, "dumping" the voltage at the extreme point of the amplitude, below, is not recommended. Training with pull-ups will be more effective if you perform it with weights, which makes performing the specified number of repetitions a rather difficult task.
The development of pure strength with the help of pull-ups requires no more than 5-6 repetitions in the approach. In this case, significant weights are used, and extremely smooth, slow movements, without any kipping and swinging.
Features are in every variation of pull-ups. There is only one thing in common - you must first try to reduce the shoulder blades, and only then - flexion of the elbows.
Classic mid-grip pull-up
This is an average direct grip, that is, the palm in the hanging is directed from the person performing the exercise. If the palm and fingers are looking forward to the face, then this is a reverse grip.
This pull-up option is suitable for those who need to pass the test in a military or physical education institution, the ion develops the overall strength of the back muscles. For beginners, this pull-up has many advantages - first of all, it develops biceps and the back is balanced.
The sequence of actions is as follows:
- It is necessary to take up the crossbar with a direct average grip at shoulder width, the grip is allowed a little wider - by 2-3 cm, but not already;
- On a high crossbeam climb with support, or from a jump. The second option is not recommended for beginners, whose weak ligaments may not give stability in the shoulder joint. On a low crossbar, just hang, bending your knees;
- First you need to stabilize the shoulder blades and shoulders. To do this, stop swaying, and reduce the shoulder blades to the spine so that the shoulders “open” to the side;
- After this, pull-up is performed - the chest reaches for the crossbar, the elbows are bent, and are moved to the sides. The body is led at a slight angle to the bar;
- As soon as the touch of the crossbar is reached at the top, you should gently lower down;
- The work takes place in a controlled style, raising and lowering the body - along an arcuate path, a straight line can be drawn only if you take the athlete's tailbone as a reference point. The shoulders describe the arc every time an athlete pulls up and down
This pull-up option also requires lowering control too. If you constantly fall into the "dead hang", that is, fully extend the elbow and shoulder joints, the movement will be much harder. Beginners are not recommended to work from the "dead hang", this is a variation for those who continue.
Wide grip pull-up technique
There is little difference, except that it is almost impossible for a complete beginner to do this exercise right away without any preparation. The movement is anatomically more complex, the wider the shoulders, and the shorter the arms, the more difficult.
The exercise is performed as follows:
- Vis on the horizontal bar is taken with a grip 5-10 cm wider than the shoulders, but it should be comfortable if the athlete experiences pain at the start of the exercise, the grip is too wide;
- On exhalation, the shoulder blades are reduced to the spine, the chest is pushed forward, the arms are bent at the elbows, and the chest is pulled to the crossbar;
- On inspiration - a smooth return to its original position;
- In the lower part of the amplitude, you cannot strongly relax the body, so that the shoulders go to the ears. This will create unnecessary tension in the trapezoid during the movement, and will not allow you to pump your back muscles effectively
In professional literature, this exercise is also called pull-up with a wide pronounced grip.
Narrow Reverse Grip
Many trainers recommend starting with this variation for women and those with a genetically weaker back.
The technique is as follows:
- Vis is taken on straight arms, palms shoulder-width apart, gently stretch your arms up, hook on the horizontal bar so that it lies in the middle of the palm, and not on the fingers;
- This exercise is the only variation where the first movement is flexion in the elbow joint. On exhalation, you need to bend your arms at the elbows, and bring the chest to the horizontal bar;
- Lowering is slow, a novice also does not need to go into a dead hang with elbows inserted
Important note: Narrow back grip is better for training the shoulder muscles, but is not recommended for those who have problems with the rotator cuff. In case of a shoulder injury, the average direct grip is optimal, and then, after rehabilitation.
Pull up on a horizontal ladder
This is not quite a pull-up in the classical sense of the word. Athlete's feet are on the floor. To perform this movement, you need to take a direct vis on the crossbar so that the back goes down and place your feet on the floor. Further, the back is displayed parallel to the crossbar, and the arms are perpendicular.
The exercise itself resembles pulling up due to similar mechanics, but most of all it resembles the pull of the middle block to the belt. This movement develops the widest and prepares the athlete for the usual pull-ups.
"Australian" pull-ups are also done on ladders in the playground. Here it is important to hang so that the shoulders are at the level of the crossbars on which the hands are fixed, and the feet are fixed so that the spine is in a plane parallel to the floor.
It is worth progressing towards the usual pull-ups when it is possible to perform the Australian pull-up in 15-20 repetitions.
The progression in pull-ups looks like this - Australian, negative repetitions, pull-ups with a rubber shock absorber, pull-ups are classic.
Problems lovers horizontal bars
Pulling up is a rather traumatic thing, especially if you haven’t done anything before. Beginners should choose a rubber-coated area, or horizontal bars that are dug directly into the sandbox, so as not to be injured in the fall. And it is quite real, especially if there are problems with grip and exorbitant ambitions that prevent a person from stopping in training on time.
In addition, the practitioner should always have magnesia on hand to prevent slipping, calluses and skin damage.
The main way to prevent injuries is to normalize relationships with your own ego. Stop trying to make exits by force with a jump, if you still do not know how to pull yourself up. Do not perform exercises due to inertia if you do not have enough muscle strength yet. Try to do everything technically, and cope with tasks gradually.
Well, and the classic recommendations - warm up first with a light run on the site, then rotate in all the main joints, after that - traction of rubber to the chest with the fixation of the shock absorber on top.
The reason for their occurrence is not excessive work, and not even sweaty palms. Typically, corns are pursued by those who love to hang on their fingers, and even sway at the same time. From the very first trainings, learn to make a grip in the palm of your hand so that the body does not swing from side to side and does not perform pendulum movements. This will help get rid of problems with calluses. If the training volume is large, you apply weight weights - do not hesitate to use the straps. A good grip is cool, but regular training without pain and calluses is even better.
In general, some “roughness” of the palms is the norm, and it only helps to stay on the horizontal bar.
Here it is necessary to distinguish between inflammation of the ligaments and joints, which are dangerous for health and muscle strength. Krepatura is a normal practice, and it can not do any harm to training. On the contrary, you should actively warm up on days free from hard training.
But if the ligaments and joints hurt at night, become inflamed, as if "pulled" when you are at rest, it is better to consult a doctor to rule out health problems.
Falls from the horizontal bar
This is also normal practice, you need to learn to jump softly and to cover. But in fact, those who do not use magnesia, and who have a weak grip, fall from the horizontal bars most often. The second category of athletes should simply develop grip. If the crossbar metal is smooth and slippery, it is worth wrapping a medical patch on the crossbar to ensure normal adhesion to the coating.
Recommendations and Tips
Following these simple rules will help you improve your workout:
- Do not start learning with kipping and butterfly. The beginner works smoothly and under control;
- Do not self-deceive by pulling your arms with a round back. Lightweight athletes can do that, but they don’t swing their backs;
- If all else fails, add back exercises for biceps and back;
- Do not neglect the help of the insurer, there is nothing shameful in this, and this helps to avoid injuries due to falls;
- If you are doing strength in the hall, pull yourself up once a week, if you just go to the horizontal bars - 2 times, alternating the day of pull-ups with the day of push-ups on the uneven bars.
And remember that everyone can learn to pull up, this will help to avoid various problems with pain in the spine and help improve physical condition.
Define your category, and forward to success!
Before you start training, establish for yourself those exercises that you can do. Then you need to determine the group and, accordingly, the exercise program, which is designed for two weeks. After a month after the start of serious professional training, it is necessary to pass another test.
Your result: from 0 to 1
Your difficulties: you are not ready yet (do not keep your weight)
What will help: for you, the best option is to do only the opposite part of the pull-ups: use the bench to help, place it just below the crossbar, help your feet do the pull-ups. Give yourself a moment of rest after each set.
Train on schedule:
First training week: 3 sets of 5-6 repetitions of the exercise, lowering time 5-6 seconds
Second training week: 3 sets of 5-6 repetitions of the exercise, lowering time 5-6 seconds
Third training week: 2 sets of 5-6 repetitions of the exercise, lowering time 8-10 seconds
The fourth training week: 2 sets of 5-6 repetitions of the exercise, the lowering time of 8-10 seconds.
Your result: 2 to 4
Your difficulties: less than necessary, the number of repetitions during training
What will help : first, reduce the number of repetitions of the exercise with an increase in the number of approaches. Focus on the first repetitions of exercises, as they allow you to establish a “brain-muscle” relationship.
Train on schedule:
First training week :: 8 approaches, 50 percent of the maximum number of repetitions for the best approach, 1.5 minutes - rest.
The second training week: 8 approaches, 50 percent of the maximum number of repetitions for the best approach, 1 minute rest.
The third training week: 8 approaches, the maximum number of repetitions for the best approach, 1.5 minutes - rest.
The fourth training week: 8 approaches, the maximum number of repetitions for the best approach, 1 minute rest.
Your result: 5 to 7
Your difficulties : there is strength, not enough stamina
What helps : increase the number of repetitions of the exercise. For example, with previously performed 3 sets of 6 reps, do 30 reps, regardless of the number of repetitions in each set.
Train according to the schedule : pull yourself up as many times as possible, take a rest for 1 minute, do another pull-ups as many times as you can.
Your result: from 8 to 12
Your difficulties : you are doing a great job, you can say that your weight is not enough for you
What helps : do even more work for yourself.
Train according to the schedule : increase the load due to weights (10 percent of your body weight), attached, for example, to the belt. This will allow you to pull up more effectively. It is optimal for you now to complete 5 approaches with an additional load as many times as you can, be sure to take a rest between sets - 1 minute.