T-bar pull is a basic back exercise. It allows you to work out the broadest muscles, and get excellent posture, a wide back and a variety of workouts. Draft can be done by fastening the ordinary bar in a special way, or in the simulator, which is in some rooms. Movement is rarely the first in strength training of the back, but some bodybuilders prefer this traction, because they better feel their back in it. The technique of exercise with a regular bar and in the simulator varies. There are different models of simulators - where the athlete stands, resting his feet on the stands, or lies, resting on a special pillow with his stomach, and his legs touch the supports.
- 1 The right technique
- 1.1 Preparation
- 1.2 Movement
- 1.3 Caution
- 1.4 Recommendations
- 2 exercise options
- 3 Analysis of exercises
- 3.1 The advantage of exercise
- 3.2 Contraindications
- 3.3 Recommendations
- 4 Training life hack
The right technique
First, you need to take the starting position so that the palms and shoulders are in the same plane. You can pull a little narrower, but wider - usually should not. A wider setting of arms with the elbows behind the back shifts the load vector to the posterior deltoid muscle bundles. If the back delta is lagging behind, and there is a goal to really load it together with rhomboid and widest, you can use a wider setting of hands. If you need isolated work on the back muscles, the load is shifted to the widest, just performing a grip in the projection of the "palm-shoulders".
If the simulator is a car with a vertical setting, you need to rest your feet on the pedals and make a simple forward bend, grabbing the handles with your hands. Next, you need to perform a slight extension of the body, and slightly rise up. Then the angle will be optimal for the exercise.
- Due to the scapula of the blades to each other, a start is made, back muscles are contracted;
- Hands smoothly bring the handle of the simulator towards the stomach;
- At the top, peak muscle contraction is carried out, they are extremely strained;
- Then the handle of the simulator must be gently lowered down;
- Perform the required number of repetitions, trying not to lose load and not to unbend the body, so as not to help yourself due to the extension of the back
The elbows in this exercise work approximately in the same way as in the draft of the rod in the slope, that is, they retract back to the midline of the body or a little further.
It will be a little easier to pull your back if you unconsciously do not accept the starting position, which many athletes choose in deadlift, that is, do not pull by lifting the chest and head. Try to keep the top of your head in the same plane with your spine, and do not bend your knees during exercise
Should not be done:
- Too much rounding of the back in the chest and lumbar region . For some athletes, it is easier to perform traction if they will make the body lean forward more and round the back more. As a rule, such athletes pull a classic stanovoy with a rounding in the chest. In powerlifting, this is not considered a technical error, while in bodybuilding it is not recommended, as it can remove the load from the back muscles and shift it to the trapezius muscles;
- Work biceps . If the athlete begins to move due to contraction of the biceps, he can mainly load only him and not work out his back muscles completely. In this case, the load is shifted to the biceps and forearm, and the target muscles do not work. Of course, there is a certain “lapping” with the back, but it cannot be considered a sufficient load for a full-fledged workout;
- Exercise using limit and sublimit weights . This approach allows not only to get overload, but also does not work out the muscles, but it can cause injury to the ligamentous apparatus.
Many trainers recommend increasing the amplitude due to the deep inclination of the body forward, and in this way to increase the load on the latissimus dorsi. This will help to work on that muscle group, which should be the main one in the exercise, but will not be suitable for people with low mobility in the hip joints;
The fingerboard must be moved smoothly along the trajectory, not jerkingly, so that the muscles receive a load, and the ligaments remain in a safe position and do not overstretch;
It is forbidden to "dump" the bar down, from the working position
- Wide-arm T-bar thrust . It removes biceps from the trajectory, and involves the widest and the back deltas, does not allow you to work with your hands. It is not recommended for those who had a tear of the posterior bundle of the deltoid muscle or an injury to the shoulder joint;
- Narrow grip traction . An option that the people have earned a reputation for traction for biceps. It contributes to the study of not only the muscles of the back, but also of the hands, and creates an increased amplitude;
- Traction with support on the simulator bench, it is also "lying traction" . We need a simulator with a pillow, which can be supported by the stomach or part of the chest. Or this movement is carried out based on an ordinary bench. It is necessary to collect the shoulder blades and pull both halves of the back to the spine, otherwise the movement is similar to conventional traction. The point here is to maximize isolation of the back muscles, and traction exclusively by it, and not by hands;
- A variant with the usual Olympic bar, fixed in the corner, or at the power frame using weights . Next, the handle from the upper block, or the V-shaped handle, is attached to the neck, and the thrust is carried out in approximately the same technique as described above. The idea is that the bar is stable, and does not move to the right and left along the axis of the spine.
The movement is basic, complex. Almost all the muscles of the upper body participate in it. The latissimus dorsi, as well as the rhomboid, are the main drivers. Large round and deltoid ones help the movement, and the chest ones help to raise the chest and take an upright position in the exercise.
In addition, the biceps and forearm muscles work, as well as the press as a stabilizer. All this allows us to consider the exercise complex, involving the whole body in work.
Advantage of exercise
The most biomechanically close movement is the tilt rod. Training load is distributed in a similar way, but pulling the T-bar is safer, since the trajectory is set by the simulator. This makes the movement accessible to beginners who find it difficult to work out their backs with only free weights.
Meanwhile, the trajectory of the T-bar is not as rigid as in the lever or block simulator, and therefore allows you to learn how to perform the draft in the tilt correctly. There is evidence that this simple mechanism uses more muscles than an isolated craving for the belt with support on the pillow.
The movement allows people with different levels of physical fitness to train, and the load can be varied, making the exercise accessible to both experienced athletes and beginners.
In this exercise, it is harder to get injured than with a free barbell. Most athletes complain only about the discomfort of the grip, but if significant weight weights are used, it makes sense to solve the problem using the straps.
Usually, among her contraindications, there are hernias or injuries of the lumbar spine. In principle, the set of contraindications is wider. This traction is also not recommended for hernias in the thoracic region, since it can cause displacement of the vertebrae if improperly performed. For those who have injuries, or the rehabilitation period has not ended, they recommend dumbbell pulls to the belt lying face down on the bench, or a similar movement with a barbell or bodybar.
- Exercise is performed at an emphasized slow pace. Traction is performed due to the scapula of the shoulder blades and tension of the back muscles, reducing the back, and not due to jerking with hands;
- Pushing the bar to the stomach and throws in order to “disperse” the projectile are not allowed. Performing movement with cheating is not recommended, especially with regard to the supine position. With it, the separation of the chest from the cushion of the simulator and the "throwing" of the shoulder girdle up can cause injury to the lumbar spine;
- If the athlete does not know how to hold the front abdominal wall, and “pushes” the weight due to the push of the front abdominal wall, he must wear a belt;
- It is not recommended to work without wrist straps if the grip is weak and concentration is spent on holding the projectile with your hands;
- Exercise should not be performed with a huge weight that an athlete cannot pull without cheating;
- Feet should rest on the simulator in a natural position. Socks should be spread apart so that the center of gravity does not move forward.
A special simulator can be replaced with a regular bar, fixed in the corner, or in the power frame. To begin with, put a pancake on the bar, and place the end of the neck, free from pancake, in the corner so that it is fixed in a stable position. You can place a pancake or a dumbbell on top so that the bar is loaded, and it cannot move. Pull comfortably by placing the handle for the cable traction simulator on the neck.
For the rest, turn on this exercise to diversify the training program, and for a while take a break from the routine traction of the barbell to the belt.