- Execution technique
- Parsing exercise
- Preparation for execution
- Correct execution
- Performance Tips
- Program Inclusion
- How to replace
Triceps extension on the upper block is a classic exercise of bodybuilding and fitness. This is a common one-joint movement, which is very popular due to its simplicity. But there are several technical nuances that allow you to feel the development of muscles completely. Many people don’t feel triceps at all when they extend their elbows. They take too much weight, and perform the exercise on the other hand, due to inertia. So it’s worth learning how to work in isolation, and achieve your results faster. The movement is known with the classic straight and rope handle. The second option allows you to load the lateral head of the muscle.
- 1 Technique
- 1.1 Starting position
- 1.2 Movement
- 1.3 Caution
- 1.4 Recommendations
- 2 Analysis of exercises
- 2.1 working muscles
- 2.2 Pros
- 2.3 Cons
- 3 Preparation for execution
- 4 Proper execution
- 5 Mistakes
- 6 Performance Tips
- 7 Inclusion in the program
- 8 Contraindications
- 9 How to replace
- The movement starts from the point that many consider the middle of the amplitude. It is necessary to begin to straighten your arms from the position of “forearm parallel to the floor”;
- You can take the correct position by standing at a distance of 30-40 cm from the crossover unit;
- The handle should be taken evenly, at the same distance from the center with both hands;
- Perform a slight bend forward and bend your knees slightly;
- Take a breath, fix the press;
- Blades to reduce to the spine and lower to the pelvis;
- Keep your shoulders deployed in one position
- On exhalation, you need to straighten your arms only in the elbow joints, leaving your shoulders stable;
- At the bottom point of movement, it is worthwhile to linger, reducing triceps;
- Then - return to the center of the amplitude and do not bend your elbows additionally in order to “push” the weight to the shoulders;
- After completing the required number of repetitions, you need to return the projectile to its original position
- Exercise isolated - no need to “earn extra money” with legs, body and press;
- The greater the emphasis on leaning forward, the less load the triceps receive;
- It is impossible to lose weight in the negative phase, you need to smoothly lower it, as if to "bring" the muscles;
- Elbows should be controlled so that the forearms do not extend far from the body;
- The pace should be smooth, the same, no need to push the block down due to inertia and work jerkily
- Hands should be straightened exactly to the point where tension is felt, but not oversized, "blocking the elbow";
- Do not bend your wrists so as not to overload the ligaments;
- Brushes are best kept hard;
- Block - keep on weight until the end of the exercise
The main mover is triceps, the triceps muscle of the shoulder. Block exercise is good because it involves all three heads
Additional muscles and stabilizers - muscles of the cortex, forearms, deltoids, latissimus, pectoral, thighs as stabilizers
- It is considered "aesthetic", developing only the appearance, but this is not so. In power sports it is used as a kind of “hitch” after a heavy bench press while lying or standing. It allows you to recover faster, which means it affects power indicators, albeit indirectly;
- It can be performed in a gentle way - without a strong load on the elbows, it does not stretch the ligaments, like many other triceps exercises, and is suitable for rehabilitation after injuries if it is performed with light weight;
- If you attach rubber to the block, there will be an excellent warm-up exercise before a heavy bench press due to a varied load change;
- At the end of the workout, you can again work with rubber or light weight to “drive” the blood into the muscles and provide recovery
- It is not designed for strength work, it is unlikely to build a powerful triceps if the athlete does not perform bench presses, and does not work in power mode in other exercises
Preparation for execution
Many need to “prepare mentally” so as not to take the maximum burden immediately. It’s not possible to hit anyone with this, but injuring your shoulders is easy. If you need to stand in front of the block with shoulders rounded forward - the weight is too heavy, you need to take less tiles.
Typically, this exercise completes a bench press or bodybuilder workout. If used as a warm-up, it is performed with rubber, or with a minimum weight. With an isolated triceps study, only these exercises (for example, during rehabilitation or in the program for a beginner) need to stretch the joints before you start moving. Then - work with minimal weight.
- Bodybuilding guides often state that an athlete should work with an exceptionally straight back and avoid leaning forward. This is not entirely correct, a slight slope of about 15 degrees is allowed. The movement should not be carried out completely due to tilt and inertia;
- Elbows should not "walk" side-for-forward, or forward-backward;
- A technical trick that allows you to perform movement with the correct position of the body - a look directed strictly forward;
- It makes no sense to start from the front deltas, in this position in the exercise the biceps work more than the triceps. You should not perform movement at the expense of muscles that are not targeted in this exercise;
- Correct start - forearms are parallel to the floor. Using this technique does not allow you to take large weights, and indirectly protects against ligament injuries;
- When using the rope handle, you need to monitor the position of the fingers, they should not, as it were, "stray together", the grip should be evenly distributed;
- When using a straight handle, the wrists are controlled, their excessive extension or bending is a technical error;
- The exhalation is carried out on effort, synchronization of the extensions with breathing allows you to control movement and helps to keep the body quite active;
- A straight look allows you to keep your head in the correct position. You need to look forward, and not tilt your head to the side so that the cable runs sideways.
- Work with elbows, “protruding” in different directions;
- A sharp short tilt of the body forward to help yourself push the weight;
- Quick relaxation of triceps after straightening the arms, “beating” the weight to its original position by inertia;
- Full lowering of the weight, contact of the tiles with each other;
- Rounding shoulders forward to create additional leverage;
- Outings on socks, change of position of legs;
- Work in the shoulder joints and hands that allows you to move weight off the ground
- For the sake of involvement in the work of the triceps evenly use the rope handle, or attaching rubber to the upper block. This version of the exercise does not allow you to perform with large weights, but this is not necessary. A straight grip helps to fix the arms more, and perform the movement in more isolation;
- A short pause in the lower permissible part of the amplitude will help to work out the triceps better, without using weights that are traumatic for the joints and ligaments. In this case, “squeeze” and “insert elbows” until the click is necessary;
- The “scissors” stand, when one leg is set in front of the other, will help to include triceps more actively if the person does not lean so, and stands stably, preventing the body from “earning” and pushing the weight down due to inertia. Multiplication is not a technical mistake, but rather a technical technique that helps some athletes;
- You can use a stiff grip to take more weight. This is justified if you are engaged in a bench press, and you need additional strength work after the main one. For beginners and those who train triceps in the pump mode, it is better to use the rope handle for now;
- If the back gets tired during the exercise, it makes sense to change the legs in the leg;
- To maintain a smooth pace, it is worth doing an exercise in a concentrated style, slowly unbending your elbows by 2-3 counts;
- Exercise, when the elbows are unbent due to the head, significantly involves the shoulder joint, therefore it is more complex. It is demanding on the flexibility of the athlete. If your shoulders are not very good, you should abandon this variation of the exercise.
Many warm up with this movement. Of course, this is a bench press. If we do the same, remember the rules. To begin with - a joint workout, and a couple of extension approaches with light rubber. Then, 1-2 approaches with a minimum block resistance. Gathering reaping do not need to do multiple repetitive pump sets in order to "work out the triceps in advance." This approach does not work well if the results in the main exercise and healthy elbows are really important to the person. The purpose of the warm-up is to increase the local temperature of the muscles, improve blood circulation and prepare for the main movement, and not to tire the muscles so that extension is completely impossible.
In classic fitness plans, block extension is the last triceps exercise. Here it is also important not to “insert” the elbows too actively, and to avoid too much inertial load. The purpose of the exercise is to work out the triceps, and not to make the arms just overwork, and the person will be injured due to a sharp “insertion” of the elbows.
In addition, you need to make sure that the extension really trains the triceps, and not "the whole body." Of course, the temptation to pass for “the strongest in the hall”, unbending your arms with the largest number of tiles, is great, but you should not give in to it, and just waste time, “swinging by inertia”.
Typically, the movement is performed in the mode of 12 or more repetitions, but it is possible to work in the range of 8 repetitions or even less.
Movement is not recommended for inflammatory processes in the elbows and wrists, but can be performed throughout the rehabilitation period.
For those who have problems with their wrists, wrist bandages work well.
How to replace
The movement can be replaced by any extension with rubber, shock absorber, or in loops for fitness (in this case, the work is done from behind the head).