- Connective tissue
- The composition of the additives
- High efficiency
- Average efficiency
- Low efficiency
- Elimination of pain symptoms
- The best supplements for joints and ligaments
- Treatment and prevention course
- General tips
High physical stress on the ligaments and joints leads to the appearance of chronic pain and the development of dystrophic processes in the ligaments and joints. In addition, almost every athlete is faced with various injuries, so it is very important to pay increased attention to their prevention. This is facilitated by a thorough warm-up, and the use of special sports supplements that accelerate the regeneration of connective tissue and contribute to its strengthening. Any sport is characterized by a certain range of injuries. If you visit the gym, then the increased load falls on the joints and ligaments, it is about them that you should take care first.
- 1 connective tissue
- 2 Relevance
- 3 Composition of additives
- 4 High performance
- 5 Average efficiency
- 6 Low efficiency
- 7 Elimination of pain symptoms
- 8 Best Supplements for Joints and Ligaments
- 8.1 Best Complex Supplements
- 9 Treatment and prevention course
- 10 General Tips
Connective tissue includes: tendons, ligaments, cartilage, bones, muscle fascia, aponeurosis (fibrous membranes that connect the muscles together or with the bones) and shells of almost all organs. The main function of connective tissue is to create the mechanical strength of the body and shape it. Connective tissue consists mainly of collagen, which is a strong protein thread that does not allow tearing of tissue and elastin, which provides elasticity and extensibility of tissues. In each type of connective tissue there are special cells - fibroblasts in the ligaments and tendons, chondroblasts in the cartilage, osteoblasts in the bone. These cells produce elastin and collagen, and also contribute to the renewal and restoration of connective tissue.
In order to achieve high results in bodybuilding, athletes have to exercise with large weights in training, since for muscle growth it is necessary to create the maximum load on each muscle bundle. With a constant increase in working weights, the risk of injury increases, so it is necessary to further strengthen the ligamentous apparatus and cartilage of the joints.
Systematic cartilage trauma leads to the development of osteoarthritis - a disease that is accompanied by severe pain in the joints, impaired motor activity and is practically irreversible, that is, often leads to disability. About 20 million Americans suffer from this disease, and statistics show that the risk of this pathology is significantly higher when doing power sports.
- Do bodybuilding or powerlifting
- Experiencing pain, crunching, or stiffness in joints and ligaments
- Got injured
- Want to strengthen your ligaments and joints
Remember that diseases of the ligaments and joints are very difficult to treat, therefore prevention is much more effective! It is prevention, and only secondarily, that our recommendations are devoted to treatment. Prevention courses are especially relevant for people over the age of 30 years, when the connective tissue becomes more vulnerable.
The composition of the additives
Nowadays, you can find dozens or even hundreds of supplements that are designed to treat and strengthen joints and ligaments, but most of these products are completely ineffective. At the same time, the other part does not meet modern quality standards, or has a very high cost and can be replaced by more economical products. In this part, only those agents that promote the restoration of cartilage and connective tissue, and not just temporarily eliminate the symptoms, are considered.
We begin the analysis with a list of active substances with an objective assessment of effectiveness based on modern research:
- Glucosamine sulfate - strengthening joints and ligaments
- Chondroitin sulfate - strengthening joints and ligaments
- Collagen - strengthening joints, ligaments, bones, improving skin properties
Calcium and Vitamin D are essential for strengthening bones and should be taken at the same time. It should be noted that vitamin D deficiency is quite common - this is especially characteristic of the northern climate. Separate studies show that vitamin D deficiency leads to various disorders, including inflammation of the ligaments and joints. Taking appropriate supplements can reduce such negative processes.
- Methylsulfonylmethane - eliminates pain and suppresses inflammation, but does not contribute to the restoration of connective tissue
- Shark cartilage - contains glucosamine, collagen and calcium, but the effectiveness of the treatment is higher when these components are used in purified form.
- S-adenosylmethionine - the drug was approved in clinical trials for the treatment of joint diseases in European countries. The problem is that to obtain the effect, very large doses are required - up to 1500 mg per day, given the high cost of S-adenosylmethionine, its course will be very expensive. The supplement also has a mild antidepressant effect.
- Omega-3 fatty acids - make a moderate, but significant contribution to the healing of joints and ligaments. It was noted that omega-3s help relieve pain in joint diseases, and mobility improves. The best source of omega-3s are fatty fish species.
- Bromelain is a mixture of proteolytic enzymes of plant origin. A good remedy for eliminating pain and inflammation with a recent injury or in the active phase of inflammation.
- Curcumin is a plant extract that has an anti-inflammatory effect. The effect of curcumin, as shown by studies, is rather weak.
- Hyaluronic acid is a non-sulfonated glycosaminoglycan that is part of the connective, epithelial and nervous tissues. It is one of the main components of the extracellular matrix, found in many biological fluids (saliva, synovial fluid, etc.). It takes a significant part in the proliferation and migration of cells, and may be involved in the development of malignant tumors. Produced by certain bacteria (e.g. Streptococcus). An average of about 15 grams of hyaluronic acid is contained in a human body weighing 70 kg, a third of which is converted (broken down or synthesized) every day.
Vitamins and minerals - restoration of ligaments and joints requires a large number of vitamins and minerals involved in the synthesis of new cells. First of all, they include vitamins: B6, E, C, minerals: niacin, zinc, selenium, magnesium. Many vitamins and minerals, in addition, are excellent antioxidants, which helps protect cells from oxidative damage during inflammation.
- Vitamin C is required for collagen synthesis. In addition, it is an excellent antioxidant. This vitamin helps reduce pain and inflammation. In addition, vitamin C improves recovery.
- Vitamin E is also a powerful antioxidant, it reduces pain and protects joints from damage. Both vitamins C and E play an important role in the treatment of joint diseases, which is explained by a decrease in oxidative processes. Clinical studies show that supplements with vitamins E and C reduce inflammation and pain in ligaments and joints after exercise.
- B vitamins also have anti-inflammatory effects. So, they help with rheumatoid and osteoarthritis. Pantothenate or vitamin B5 beneficially affects wound healing, improves collagen synthesis. At the same time, separate studies show that the low level of pantothenic acid (vitamin B5) in the body is in feedback with an increase in joint pain and stiffness of the ligaments. Vitamins B6, B12 and folic acid have anti-inflammatory effects.
- Minerals are required to ensure the normal functioning of cells; they serve to activate the production of enzymes and the synthesis of ligament cells. Boron and manganese increase the reproduction of collagen, the synthesis of glycosaminoglycans, and improve metabolism. Some drugs are known to negatively affect the absorption of certain minerals. The adoption of appropriate supplements should ensure their sufficient supply in the body. Clinical trials indicate that a lack of zinc has a negative effect on the synthesis of connective tissue. Zinc mainly activates the production of enzymes that are responsible for cell growth and their integrity. With a lack of this mineral in the body, poor healing of tissues is observed. Copper activates the production of lysyl oxidase, which is important in the conversion of collagen and elastin. Copper also has anti-inflammatory properties and can relieve joint and ligament pain.
Almost all modern supplements for ligaments, joints and bones that have proven effectiveness in preventive use have been listed and briefly described above. We will not create an endless list of additives and components that are useless or unreasonably expensive. However, it should be noted that most plant extracts, additives of animal origin (marine crustaceans, sharks, insects, etc.) are not effective. Give preference to trusted firms and brands. The most optimal source of collagen is edible gelatin.
Elimination of pain symptoms
Quite often, for therapeutic purposes, athletes take aspirin, paracetamol, ketans (ketorol), diclofenac and other anti-inflammatory drugs to reduce pain and inflammation of the joints and ligaments - however, these drugs can only temporarily eliminate the symptoms of the disease, without affecting its treatment. These non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs have a number of serious side effects - damage to the mucosa of the gastrointestinal tract, toxicity to the liver and kidneys, changes in blood composition, etc., therefore, they should be used only in the acute phase of the pathological process. The duration of admission should not exceed 1-2 weeks. It is better to give preference to anti-inflammatory drugs that selectively block COX-2 - Nimesulide, Celecoxib. They have fewer side effects.
The best supplements for joints and ligaments
To obtain the maximum therapeutic effect, the course should include:
- Glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin sulfate are best purchased as part of a single supplement.
- Collagen - in the form of gelatin 10 g per day
- Bioavailable Calcium and Vitamin D to Strengthen Bones
- Methylsulfonylmethane - for pain relief
The best complex supplements
Two leading products can be distinguished:
- Bone Boost by SAN
- Animal Flex by Universal Nutrition
Also, additives have a good ratio of price and quality, however, a less complete composition:
- Joint Repair by Dymatize
- Joint Support from Performance
- Glucosamine + CSA Super Strength 120 tab from Optimum Nutrition
- Glucosamine Chondroitin & MSM (ULN) everything you need, at a nice price
Treatment and prevention course
For maximum effect, combine one of the complex supplements with a vitamin-mineral complex, omega-3 and collagen. Use edible gelatin as a source of collagen.
On average, the course of taking supplements for ligaments and joints lasts 1-2 months . The optimal frequency of courses is 2-3 times a year . Dosages and more accurate information about the intake can be found in separate articles, as well as on product packaging.
General tips to help keep your ligaments and joints healthy:
- Follow Exercise Techniques to Avoid Injury
- If you have problems with ligaments and joints, use safer exercises.
- Take a preventive course from a complex supplement, collagen and vitamin-mineral complex
- Do not work with too large weights.
- Do not strain joints and ligaments when injured until fully recovered.
- Treatment of diseases of the ligaments and joints should be agreed with the doctor